BIM for Design Coordination
Virtual Design Coordination (VDC) employs information-rich Building Information Modeling (BIM) to enable specialty designers and contractors to create a single, coordinated set of designs that can prevent cost overruns, avoid schedule delays, and identify issues in the field. Although BIM-based design coordination is widely used in the commercial construction industry, there remains a need for a standardized practice. BIM for Design Coordination formalizes industry best practices and provides structured guidelines to the process.
Helping readers gain the benefits of BIM-based design coordination, this practical guide covers areas such as setting up a project for success, model quality impacts on design coordination, carrying out a successful VDC session, and more. Specific guidelines for various project stakeholders are laid out in detail, while real-world examples of project design coordination workflows and templates for BIM Project Execution Plans (PxPs) are provided throughout the text. Written by a leading expert and educator in the field, this book:
- Provides a formal set of BIM-based design coordination guidelines that emphasize construction-stage coordination
- Features real-life case studies that illustrate how leading firms approach design coordination
- Covers BIM-based design coordination in other industries, such as infrastructure and industrial sectors
- Presents guidelines for all project stakeholders, including subcontractors, architects, engineers, fabricators, and owners
- Includes chapters on teaching BIM-based design coordination and the future of the field
BIM for Design Coordination: A Virtual Design and Construction Guide for Designers, General Contractors, and MEP Subcontractors is a much-needed resource for general contractors and members of VDC teams, as well as academics, students, and professionals new to BIM-based design coordination.
By Fernanda Leite
Paperback, 192 pages
7.2 x 0.3 x 9 inches
We Also Recommend
The Work Wellness Deck: 60 Simple Practices to De-stress and Recharge Wherever You Work Cards