BIM for Design Firms
This book expands on BIM (Building Information Modeling), showing its applicability to a range of design-oriented projects. It emphasizes the full impact that a data modeling tool has on design processes, systems, and the high level of collaboration required across the design team. It also explains the quantitative analysis opportunities that BIM affords for sustainable design and for balancing competing design agendas, while highlighting the benefits BIM offers to designing in 3D for construction. The book concludes with a deep look at the possible future of BIM and digitally-enhanced design.
Through clear explanation of the processes involved and compelling case studies of design-oriented projects presented with full-color illustrations, BIM for Design Firms: Data Rich Architecture at Small and Medium Scales proves that the power of BIM is far more than an improved documentation and sharing environment. It offers chapters that discuss a broad range of digital design, including problems with BIM, how readers can leverage BIM workflows for complex projects, the way BIM is taught, and more.
- Helps architects in small and medium design studios realize the cost and efficiency benefits of using BIM
- Demonstrates how the use of BIM is as relevant and beneficial for a range of projects, from small buildings to large and complex commercial developments
- Highlights the quantitative analysis opportunities of data-rich BIM models across design disciplines for climate responsiveness, design exploration, visualization, documentation, and error detection
- Includes full-color case studies of small to medium projects, so that examples are applicable to a range of practice types
- Features projects by Arca Architects, ARX Protugal Arquitectos, Bearth & Deplazes, Durbach Block Jaggers, Flansburgh Architects, and LEVER Architecture
BIM for Design Firms is an excellent book for architects in small and medium-sized studios (including design departments within large firms) as well as for architecture students.
By François Lévy and Jeffrey W. Ouellette
Hardcover, 240 pages
7.4 x 0.7 x 9.4 inches
We Also Recommend